Mechanical and Electrical Engineering
To achieve the high performance passive low energy buildings that our clients are seeking we offer the in-house expertise to integrate and design all mechanical and electrical requirements for any building scheme.
Gale & Snowden has found from experience that the integration between architects, building physicists and mechanical engineers at the concept stage right the way through the design and building process and working as a true team within one organisation is the optimal way to achieve a building that actually performs in use compared to what is theoretically possible.
Low energy Mechanical & Electrical systems design
Full ACE Mechanical Engineering services for all RIBA work stages including: feasibility, concept, design, on site, hand over and commissioning.
- DHWS domestic hot water services
- Rainwater harvesting
- CWS cold water services
- Highly efficient heating plant
- Heat distribution – underfloor heating, radiators, air heaters
- Variable speed pumping systems
- Variable volume ventilation systems (C02 / PIR controlled)
- Mechanical Ventilation & Heat Recovery (MVHR)
- Ground to air (earth tube) ventilation systems
- LV electrical systems – low EMF design and non PVC
- Low energy lighting systems – daylight dimming / PIR control / LEDs
- Controls systems – strategies for commissioning and efficient operation
Gale & Snowden in house Mechanical & Electrical experience includes a range of projects – residential, commercial, hospitals and schools as well as individual domestic projects.
Troubleshooting and refurbishment
Existing buildings can suffer from poor performance such as under heating, overheating, inadequate control, fresh air issues and stuffiness, mechanical plant faults, hot and cold water problems. This can be due to a variety of reasons ranging from poor initial design, incorrect commissioning procedures, poor maintenance, changes in use, age etc. Gale & Snowden troubleshooting and refurbishment service includes:
- initial assessment and condition surveys
- monitoring and testing of comfort conditions and plant
- options reports
- detailed design solutions
- commissioning and handover